Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Stereotypes and Culture

Lately in class we have discussed the impact that cultural influence and stereotypes have on society, but our society is what I would like to talk about. I consider myself very blessed living in all parts of the world experiencing new culture and always taking a piece with me that has been imprinted. However, I often forget that here in Montana many people have been born and raised here and have never experienced life outside of the continental U.S or even Montana for that matter. I once had a friend tell me that he was asked if he can sunburn. We both laughed and joked about it when he told me, but it is shocking to me that people can be this naive. Then again, I have to remember that many have not experienced culture outside of their own living area, and here in Montana as diverse as you get may be meeting a couple Hutterites, but for the most part that is it. I am half Mexican and one thing I get a chuckle from is hearing that mexican food is spicy, because it is untrue. Mexican food is typically bland that is made hot after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment